Skip to main content
Fort Worth Aviation
Pages and Files
A-12 Avenger II
A-4 Skyhawk (Gray)
A-4 Skyhawk (Tan)
A-7B Corsair II
CH-53 Sea Stallion
F-102 Delta Dagger
F-4 Phantom II (Air Force)
F-4 Phantom II (Navy)
F-5E Tiger II
O-1 Bird Dog
O-2A Skymaster (Black)
O-2A Skymaster (Gray)
OV-10A Bronco (Air Force)
OV-10A Bronco (Marine)
Add "All Pages"
T-33 Shooting Star
<<< Aircraft Wiki
VMAP's T-33 in USAF Service
Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star 53-5215
Shooting Star was designed for training pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft to fly jets. It was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage about three feet to accommodate a second cockpit.
Originally designated the TF-80C, the T-33 made its first flight in 1948. More than 6,500 T-33s were built. In addition to its use as a trainer, the T-33 has been used for such tasks as drone director and target towing, and in some countries even as a combat aircraft. The RT-33A, a reconnaissance version made primarily for use by foreign countries, had a camera installed in the nose and additional equipment in the rear cockpit. The T-33 is one of the world's best-known aircraft, having served with the air forces of more than 20 different nations over several decades.
Two .50-cal. machine guns in nose
37 ft. 6 in.
37 ft. 8 in.
11 ft. 7 in.
15,000 lbs. maximum
The Fort Worth Aviation Museum's
is the oldest jet in the our collection. Specifically, it is a Lockheed T-33A-1-LO Shooting Star, Air Force Serial No. 53-5215, c/n 580-8554, manufactured by
at Burbank, California, and delivered to the USAF on 20 September 1954. It went immediately to the
Sacramento Air Material Center
, California, for modifications. In November 1954, the aircraft was assigned to the
Alaskan Air Command’s
66th Fighter Interceptor Squadron
Elmendorf Air Force Base
, Alaska. The following month, it was assigned to the
449th Fighter Interceptor Squadron (FIS
, Alaska. In February 1955, the aircraft went to the 5001st Operations Squadron also at
. During March 1955, the T-33 was assigned to the
433rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron
. In November 1955, the aircraft returned to
and went to the 5039th Aircraft Repair Squadron. A month later, the aircraft was back with the
433rd Fighter Interceptor Squadron
. In August 1956, the aircraft returned to the 5039th Maintenance Squadron at
. In December 1956, the aircraft was assigned to the 5001st Operations Squadron at
. In November 1957, the aircraft was assigned to the 5060th Operations Squadron also at
. In April 1958, the T-33 went to the 5060th Consolidated Logistics And Maintenance Group at
In October 1964, the aircraft was sent to
. The following month, the aircraft was operating with the 5040th Consolidated Logistics And Maintenance Group also at
. In October 1966, the aircraft returned to the
Sacramento Air Material Area
, California, for work. In January 1967, the aircraft joined the
Pacific Air Forces
and the 6486th Air Base Wing at
, Hawaii. In November 1971, the aircraft went to the
15th Air Base Wing
. In March 1973, the T-33 was removed from the USAF inventory.
Following military service the aircraft was at
Honolulu Community College
from 1973 until 1988 and carried the civil registration of N8361. It was later owned by Jack A. Myers and John C. Macidull circa 1988 and then to the Coleman Warbirds Museum in Coleman, Texas, 1990-1992.
Dixie Air Parts
in San Antonio acquired the aircraft, 1991-1992. David Clark and Adam Galan of Arlington, Texas, acquired the aircraft August 1993. In December 2003, the Texas Air Command Museum purchased the aircraft. The Fort Worth Aviation Museum acquired the aircraft in _(date)_.
Locally, T-33s were assigned to most military units as utility aircraft and trainers. They were in service for decades.
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"